Friday 18 November 2011

Toboggans (Day 22)

My first American college football game!
It was a great time and I learned a lot along the way, like the little tidbit that in North Carolina they call toques, ‘toboggans’, which is just crazy! I can barely stop laughing about it and I’m not sure that my bosses completely understood why.
Even though UNC lost, I think it was the best football game I’ve ever been to, outside of the Grey Cup I experienced the last time it was in Toronto. The meeting between UNC and NC State was the 100th of its kind today, and I took in the rivalry with Editor 1, Editor 2, and Editor 2’s son.
They picked me up and we headed over to the stadium, which is pretty close to where I live, and very close to where I’ve been running at the UNC campus. I definitely saw a side of the university that I had never seen before though.
During the ride and the walk from the car to the stadium, I shared the information I had come across in my research pertaining to the game. I knew that with 288 more passing yards, T.J. Yates, UNC’s quarterback, would become the school’s all-time passing leader. They informed me that the QB he would be taking the record from is Darian Durant, now playing in the CFL. They weren’t aware that Durant is a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, so I was able to enlighten them with more of my Canadian football knowledge.
The stadium was packed with people, and there was a significant amount of red from State fans within the sea of Tar Heel blue. The excitement began before the game, with the school’s marching band, cheerleaders, dancers, and a tribute to each of the senior members of the team. I couldn’t believe how many people were there, and how electric the atmosphere was. I wish there was more of this at home.
UNC started the scoring, but the game was pretty tight throughout its entirety. NC State managed to take the lead on a bizarre play in the end zone, and it changed the pace of everything. The Tar Heels lost their momentum and gave up the game, despite Yates taking the all-time passing title.
I had a great time, even though I’m sure Editor 1 and Editor 2 were upset about the loss, both being alumni of UNC. I thought it was a hard-fought battle, with a chance to go the other way right until the bitter end, and it definitely goes near the top of the list of most awesome games I’ve ever been to, taking into account its entertainment value and the atmosphere in the stadium.
We wandered around campus for awhile before we left, so I could go see the student store, and they showed me some more buildings that I was unfamiliar with. Apparently there is a lot more to the campus than just the parts I have run through. I will have to start making my long runs longer. The campus is especially beautiful right now because the leaves are still changing colours and there are a lot of trees around. The more I see of North Carolina, the more I enjoy this place and don’t want to leave.
After the game we stopped for a snack and discussed the idea of snow in this southern state. I guess I can understand why everything shuts down if there is a snowfall because they don’t have plows or anything. It does make sense when I think about it, but it’s still funny to me that anything would close after only a light dusting of the frozen white stuff.
Snack time was also when I discovered that toques are not called toques here. I knew that was likely, but had no idea that they might call the winter hats ‘toboggans’. It is hilarious and I will probably tell every single person I see the next time I wear one at home. Just the thought makes me smile.
I told them that I love America because it has better sports and food, and Editor 1 started naming off the things that are better in Canada. He started with interns, and so of course I stopped listening to the rest of what he was saying. I’m the only intern they’ve ever had from Canada, so that must mean I’ve made such a great impression that I am the best intern EVER?! Is that possible? I am sure I am taking it too far, and making much too much of what he said, but I was so pumped to hear him say that. Maybe it even means they could offer me a job, since they have given many other jobs to many other interns. I’m hopeful!
From the school they brought me back to my apartment, and I actually had a little bit of a conversation with Thing 2. I had seen her as I was running out of the apartment this morning and told her I was rushing off to the football game. So she asked me how it went, though she already knew the result because (I think) her brother goes to State and had called her to let her know. I guess the rivalry divides families.
We talked a little more about the differences between football here and at home, and the weather and everything that is new to me, not being in Canada. She brought up Thanksgiving and asked me if I was doing anything. I told her that I’m probably not, although a guy from work mentioned that he and his wife might be able and willing to take me out on the weekend. Then she said I could come to her house for American Thanksgiving!
Thing 2, whose name I still cannot recall, has invited me to her home in Raleigh with her family for an African rendition of an American tradition. I am a little bit excited, but wouldn’t be surprised if she changed her mind about calling me when the time actually comes. But who knows? I might have something to do now, and I might actually experience Thanksgiving in the US of A.
We didn’t talk much longer and then both retreated to our rooms, where I began watching the first of a few TV movies on the tube this evening.
I sent Editor 2 an email thanking him for bringing me to the game today, because I’m sure he could have gotten some money for my ticket from anyone else. And he picked me up, and gave me a piece of information that will keep me laughing for days, not to mention including me in what was probably one of the best games I’ve ever been to.
A great day ends with a great night of watching movies and smiling about toboggans.

No comments:

Post a Comment