Friday 18 November 2011

My 24th birthday (Day 4)

I didn’t realize how little knowledge I actually hold about baseball.
It was like they had every card ever made, and I only had one team. There were no trades to be made because they already had my team. I had nothing to offer.
That’s how I felt at the meeting we had today at Baseball America. Everyone got together to talk about the next issue of the magazine. They were talking drafts and prospects of every organization, giving numbers, naming names and seemingly knowing all.
The only team I have any of that sort of knowledge about is the Blue Jays, and they probably know even more than I do about their farm system. I didn’t contribute anything to the meeting.
When they were discussing the Tigers though, and why they have so much money to spend, Editor 2 said that it is probably because of all of the people coming over the border from London to watch games. So that was a nice little shout out to the girl who contributed nothing.
I took notes though, and for the ideas they threw out that they didn’t have anyone to cover, I am thinking I will take them home and try to start putting something together for them. I could fill a void. Even if I can’t get quotes from people, I can start the research and give them something to work with. 
Aside from the meeting it was a good second day at BA. Except that I didn’t eat lunch, but that’s my fault.
I spent most of the morning trying to finish updating the directory with the summer college leagues. I contacted everyone and heard back from some, and used the information from their websites to do what I could.
I was hoping that someone would go out for lunch and that they would ask me to come along, or that they would ask if I wanted them to bring anything back. It didn’t happen, so I ended up with the granola bar in my bag. Not satisfying.
The meeting took up most of the afternoon, and when it was done I asked if there was anything I could do, or start on. The person I asked told me that he thought they were going to have me working on one of the ideas that was brought up during the meeting, but now he wasn’t sure if they were going to use it or not.
So I went to work on it anyway. I started a charticle (part chart, part article) on the Cleveland Indians, from their 2007 playoff roster (plus Cliff Lee) to now. The look back (in chart form) is due to the “suckitude” (word that was actually used in the meeting) of the Indians now, compared to when they made the playoffs in 2007.
I started with the big guns, Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia, and worked my way through the old team until an hour after my time to leave. My mom was waiting for me in the parking lot, and Editor 1 was already gone, so I left. I figured I could finish tomorrow, and there was a chance that they might not even want it anyway, so I should let less work go to waste.
My mom asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, and I was so hungry all I could think about was eating. She had previously been informed of my hunger via text message, so she came equipped with snacks, which was a very nice surprise. I can always truly appreciate a gesture involving food.
I typed The Cheesecake Factory into the GPS and we were on our way. I love American restaurants, and since we had gone to Red Lobster and Chili’s the two previous days, The Cheesecake Factory was the obvious choice.
The night before my mom had to leave to go home, we found a mall! That’s where the restaurant was, and it had a movie theatre, too. We had found everything, and had time to do nothing. I will have plenty of hours to spend going back there, but I will have to do it alone, until I make a friend. That said, I am assuming that I will make a friend.
We ate so much at dinner that there was no room for cheesecake. But it was a great birthday meal.
Afterward we made our way to Costco to get a TV for me during my time in NC. Even though my mom made the realization that it won’t fit in the car on the way home, and I will have to ship some of my other stuff home just to make room for it AND she might not have room for it at her house when this is over, I convinced her to get the big one.
We took it and dropped it off at the apartment. I believe Thing 2 was home, but she never came out of her room, so it is hard for me to know whether or not that is a fact.
Finally, our last stop was to Target, to try and get me my very own GPS. My mom’s piece of directional machinery navigated our way here and all the way around the area, most importantly to the restaurants of our choosing. It is high time that I get one for myself. And being my birthday and all, it wasn’t hard to be convincing.
I had been holding onto a pretty bad headache since I had left BA, and it didn’t go away throughout our travels of the night, so despite my plans of heading to the hotel hot tub when we returned, I went straight to the bed.
My 24th birthday ended around 9 o’clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment