Friday 18 November 2011

How uncoordinated am I? (Day 16)

Wham!
One minute I was running through the UNC campus at Chapel Hill, heading back in the direction of my apartment with the sidewalk under my feet, and the next minute that same sidewalk was right in my face.
Was there something there that I tripped on? Was the cement uneven? Not that I saw. I just fell, face-first, right on the ground. I landed on my knees, as painful as that was. And I ripped my new running pants that are all of two days old. My hands took a beating when I landed, too.
According to my own schedule, I was supposed to run 14 miles today. I made it about eight-and-a-half maybe before embarrassing myself. Luckily enough, no one was around except the one woman running with her baby who ignored my injury despite seeing the whole thing. She just ran right on by.
I wasn’t quite home when it happened though. I had to walk the last couple of miles to my apartment. I tried to run again, but it wasn’t happening. I made it back, but I am still hoping the pain dissipates soon.
Before the run I got my fill of American programming for the morning, and so when I got back home, I decided to go to the movies. I went to the same theatre I had been to before, mostly because I knew the GPS could find it for me. I guess I could look into whether there might be another one closer, but I like the security of knowing I won’t get lost. The GPS is still under some heat for driving me around in circles with no end in sight on multiple occasions yesterday.
First I saw Morning Glory. It was enjoyable and funny, but had me wondering how someone like Rachel McAdams got out of London, Ont., and ended up where she is now. I liked seeing a movie about the producer of a show now that I’ve seen production firsthand. It didn’t really change my perspective but it was interesting.
I saw a second movie when Morning Glory was finished. I thought Unstoppable was better, but once again, it’s probably because of my preference for non-fiction. I enjoyed the story and found myself wondering if any of the news footage in the film might have been real. I’m sure it wasn’t, but just knowing the concept was based on truth had me thinking about the actual event.
When the movies were done I headed to Michael’s craft store so I could get some supplies to start working on Christmas presents for my two younger female cousins. I’m still not sure what I want to put together for them, but I got a couple of paintable book bags and some fabric paint to start something.
And when I got back to the apartment I remembered there was a Law and Order: SVU marathon on today so I took that in until a phone call with Nicole broke up my TV watching. We talked more about what we are going to do after our internships are over.
It’s like all of a sudden we realized that when this is done, everything is done and we really are headed into the real world. There won’t be any more school, no more free work, and we’ll be looking for real jobs. It’s not a very comforting feeling.
I wonder if I’m ready for it, and I wonder if I will find success. I know I can go back to the Blue Jays in April and be a statistician once again, but that’s only part-time work for six months of the year. There is a lot of time in between that I have to account for.
And I love being at every Jays game, and being given money for it nonetheless, but it would be nice to have a job that actually pays me all the time, and with a predictable schedule. Though full-time isn’t exactly a widespread word in the industry I am about to try and break into, I am hopeful.
We also talked again about whether or not there might be opportunities for work with the companies we are interning for. I would love to work for Baseball America, whether it be full-time or part-time, or a few articles every couple of months from home in Toronto, but I have no idea if they have a need for me, or for anyone.
I would love to be around baseball every day and I am hoping that I can find a way to do it, but I don’t know how possible it is. I’m around these guys that have made it happen though and I am optimistic. But I know that I can’t live on optimism and hopeful dreams and I have to figure something out for at least January.
Sometimes I just want to think that everything will work out and an opportunity will sort of present itself, but I don’t think I am being realistic. I just wish I knew what I was working toward though. If I knew of a place I could go, or somewhere that might be interested in hiring, I would put everything I have into pursuing it, and speaking to the people in charge. Unfortunately, I don’t know what I’m doing.
I know I want to be in baseball. And that’s where I am right now, so for the next four weeks I am living the dream. I just don’t know how to continue when my tenure at BA is over. I don’t just want to continue the way I am either, I want to be in baseball and I want to be getting paid. I hope my aspirations aren’t too far out of my reach.
And so another weekend has passed me by and I am now going into the middle third of my internship. Another week will fly by and I hope that before it passes I can continue to make a good impression. I am really hoping that I leave such a lasting impression that if there is ever an open position they would consider me, even if it’s a couple of years from now.
Right now, I am trying to be remembered. Maybe I’ll have some luck with that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment