Friday 18 November 2011

Tickets to a football game! (Day 21)

I really love my time so much here that I don’t want to go back home. But I am more than halfway through the internship and the end seems like it is closing in on me pretty quickly.
I got another visit from the president of the company today, and it was to say that he had heard about the great work I did yesterday. I am sure he hasn’t seen the video, but the fact that he knows, once again reiterates who I am and it means that someone must have mentioned me to him.
Along with the excitement of that, I finished my story on the switch from metal bats to wood sticks for the Division II schools. I have discovered that bats are not nearly as interesting as I want them to be, and that there are barely any synonyms to be used. I found that I was very repetitive and I am kind of hoping that someone might be able to take care of that in the editing process. I did my best and sent it away to Editor 1, but not before having it proofread twice, this time by not only my mom, but also Nicole. Neither of them was overwhelmed by my repetition so I felt that it was good enough to send away.
Outside of that, I worked all day on a project that Editor 2 sent me yesterday. Baseball America is doing a book with the Hall of Fame that will feature stats, bios and pictures of all of the members of the Hall. They have asked BA to help out with the bios of 100 of the players, and because no one around here will have time to get to them for awhile (presumably because of all of the book projects I think they’re doing), Editor 2 sent the list to me to assure that I am never bored, and said that I can take my pick on who I would like to write about. First come, first serve I guess.
I only made notes on six guys today and I am hoping to finish writing my 500 words about them and get through several more this weekend. I feel a little bit like this project could be my chance to make a really good impression, so I would like to put some added effort into getting as much quality work done on it as I can. I figure whatever I am able to get through is something that someone else can take off of their own plate, and at least they will remember me for helping me out. That’s what I hope.
Interrupting my working time today was a trip for lunch back to the very first barbeque place we went to, and a meeting. I tried chicken for my first time at this place, which was very good, and when we came back we all got together to discuss the upcoming issue of the magazine. I think only two articles that I have written will be in this one, which seems a little bit disappointing after “dominating” my first issue, in the words of Editor 1.
Both of my stories will be about minor league teams who have won Bob Freitas Awards, and will appear close together I assume, so I won’t be taking up nearly as much space in the end-of-the-year double-edition as last time. Maybe I will get a chance to write more for the following issue, although I don’t think we will get that one here until after I leave, so I will be disappointed if I don’t even get to see my work while I’m around.
I also received an email from Editor 2 letting me know that he has an extra ticket for the UNC/NC State football game tomorrow, wondering if I want it. Of course I want it! The teams are rivals and I can’t get enough of great sports rivalries, not to mention that it’s UNC’s last home game of the season, my ticket is coming to me courtesy of one of my bosses, and he is picking me up for the game! I was ready for tomorrow before I even left the office today.
My excitement also continued over my first contribution to the magazine, and I headed to UPS after work was finished to send a few more issues home. I would love for as many people as I know to read what I’ve done and why I am so happy here!
When we were gone for lunch I noticed a UPS closer than any I had been to previously and thought I would take my business to the new destination. I didn’t even need my navigational wonder to get me there. I made it in record time and sent a few more magazines north of the border, plus one to Nicole in Florida at the Women’s Tennis Association.
And then I headed to Office Depot to get some more black ink for my printer because apparently it doesn’t come with much. I guess I have been printing a lot, but I didn’t think I would need a new cartridge halfway through my internship. I suppose I have been excessive with my printing needs.
From there I decided I just wanted to head home and watch some American television from the comfort of my bed. I wasn’t feeling the greatest at work all day and want to be in the best shape possible for my first college football game tomorrow!
It just so happened that there was enough satisfying TV to tide me over until an early bedtime.
In the morning I will be getting ready for football!

No comments:

Post a Comment