Friday 18 November 2011

Cake balls!?! (Day 38)

I think it’s possible that I might have seriously injured myself.
Even though my ankle was still sore when I woke up, and continued to be that way throughout the day, I went to the gym after work and decided to ignore it. I ran 11 miles and now not only is my ankle causing me a great deal of pain, but my hip has joined in as well. I am sure I was doing something weird with my hip while I was running, in order to compensate for my ankle, and so the entire thing is my fault for ignoring my original problem, but knowing that isn’t helping me now.
My day started off better than it is right now, because when I woke up I was only in a little bit of pain. I went to work, where it was a little bit weird with Editor 1 missing. There were a lot of other people missing, too, but since his office is right next to my cubicle, I usually hear him talking a lot, and it fills the void. Today there was silence in his place, and I didn’t like it.
When I saw Conor this morning, he asked if this was going to be my last week in the office. I confirmed that it was and he said that meant cake balls! I am excited for this new mystery of a dessert.
When I hung out with Conor and Nathan and their wives, Cheryl, Conor’s wife, mentioned that she loved something called cake balls and I was intrigued at the thought. They all informed me that cake balls are pretty much exactly as they sound, as in balls of cake, but they came across as a lot more delicious than my simple description when they were telling me about them.
And Cheryl said that she would utilize her awesome baking skills and make me some before I left town. So I guess I am going to get to try cake balls this week! I think they would be a good way to end my time here. Celebratory cake balls!
Nathan also mentioned this morning that I should start thinking about where I want to go for lunch on Friday. It’s a tough choice, and I am kind of hoping someone else will eventually pick for me. I don’t want to go somewhere that someone doesn’t like, and I kind of just want to pick a place that I know they like, though it might not necessarily be one of my favourites. I’m sure if I pick a barbeque place everyone will be fine with that. 
Since I didn’t get through any of the Hall of Fame bios on the weekend, I set to work on some this morning. I told Editor 2 I would finish the ones on the second page of our list, because there were only four. I have realized that I should start doing some preparatory work before I commit to names from now on, because I am not happy with my choices as of late.
Today I was working on Vic Willis, Hack Wilson, Early Wynn and Ross Youngs. Wynn was the only one I had really heard of beforehand, and I realized later that it was because he had been a broadcaster for the Blue Jays for some time. I think all of them were voted in by the Veteran’s Committee, and we all know how I feel about that kind of Hall of Famer.
The most interesting thing I learned about Willis is pretty much that he was the last pitcher in the 19th century no throw a no-hitter. So, yes, he has been dead for some time now.
Wilson hit 56 home runs in 1930, setting the National League record that remained unbroken until Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire fought over it 68 years later. I would take his record over theirs any day.
Wynn seems like a tough guy, throwing at hitters who crowded the plate too much for his liking. He also sounds like he was a little bit of a bully. But after his career as a pitcher was over, he joined the Indians as a pitching coach and then he joined Minnesota’s coaching staff before becoming a broadcaster for Toronto and the White Sox.
Youngs’ best season was one in which he came second in the National League batting race to Rogers Hornsby. I guess that’s a big accomplishment, but it’s unfortunate to be second-best. He did win two World Series championships with the New York Giants though, and he might have had the opportunity to do more if he hadn’t been diagnosed with a kidney disorder that took his life at the early age of 30.
So that was my excitement for the work day, but even now I don’t have enough words on all of them to send the bios to Editor 2. I guess I should get back to them at some point.
Editor 2 left work early to take his daughter to her horseback riding lesson, so at some point in the early afternoon, there were no bosses left in the office. I am not exactly sure when he left, and even though I knew I could head home and send him my work from there, I ended up staying until I was finished the drafts for all of my bios, a task that kept me into the evening hours.
When I was finished, I headed to the gym, where I ran the 11 miles that have put me into a state of misery. I am still hoping it will go away by the time I wake up tomorrow, but I know that is an unlikely scenario. After the gym, I went tanning before I came back to the apartment.
I finished the laundry that I had started yesterday, so that was kind of productive. I also watched the Sing-Off because my normal Monday night television had been replaced with a Christmas special. I expected to be watching a new episode of House and instead found myself taking in a bunch of groups singing acapella.
So it’s been another exciting day in North Carolina, and I got updates from home saying that everyone in London was having a snow day, so I guess things were pretty interesting there, too. I am not looking forward to heading back into that and it is my hope that the snow will clear up, or at least that it won’t be so stormy, for our drive back.
I hate the snow, but if it’s going to be there, I would rather it already be on the ground and plowed from the roads if I am going to have to be around it. It would make for a much safer drive, and that’s what I would like.
I don’t even want to think about the snow anymore though. Forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment