Friday 18 November 2011

I'm really not equipped to start packing my lunch (Day 19)

I decided to head in to work a little early because I didn’t know how long it would take me to finish updating the list of contacts for all the Division I schools and I wanted to work on the other two articles that had been pushed to the back burner.
When the list got too boring to bear, I switched over to the article on the award-winning minor league team and after a couple of drafts and a lot of changes, I finished the story and sent it away to Editor 3, but not before having it proofread by my mom. It’s handy that she works for the government and has time to help me.
After that I went back to the list until lunchtime. There were a few small distractions along the way, but I felt like I was really starting to get somewhere.
For lunch we headed to a place with barbeque of course, and this time I tried the turkey sandwich. Everything they have is pretty good, and it was no exception. I am beginning to like the eateries of North Carolina and what they have to offer.
Apparently right behind us in line when we ordered, and sitting only two tables away from us while we ate, was some star player from the Duke basketball team. Of course, his name escapes me, but it was pretty exciting to see a pseudo celebrity eating lunch at the same barbeque shack as the folk from Baseball America.
When lunch was over and we were back at the office, I was back on the list. It was beginning to take much too long. And I had received an email from the person I was doing it for telling me to let him know if I had any questions or needed any information. I pretty much took that to mean that I was being a slow poke and he was worried that I didn’t have anything for him because I hadn’t sent it back yet.
I refrained from writing back until I was finished the list. I thought it best to actually have something to send him, especially because I didn’t actually have any questions or need any information from him. There were a couple of schools not on the list I was sent and I was wondering if I should add them, but I certainly didn’t want to write him and ask for more work before I was done the work I had already been given.
By the time I got through the list I had been at work more than an hour-and-a-half beyond my designated time, although the working times I was given before I headed out to NC have really been irrelevant so far. I sent the list away and that was enough for me for the working day. I was happy to have it done, but worried that I had taken too long. I’m hopeful that I was still of help.
After work I wanted to go to UPS to send home more copies of the magazine, but I didn’t want to get lost again and end up at a location in the wrong direction. I remembered one nearby that I had been to before, and thought that if I started in its direction the GPS might pick it up along the way. That didn’t happen because my navigational wonder couldn’t figure out my location at all while I was driving, but somehow I made it. I had been able to recall where something was, and I made it to the landmark all on my own! I might be more proud of myself than I should be, but I was pretty happy.
I sent away more BA magazines to people at home and then made it to the gym in time for another spin class. Phase three of working out now not only includes torturous spin classes, but eating better too, though I have come to the conclusion that lunch doesn’t count. I can pick the healthiest meals on the menu, but I don’t pick where we go, and I am really not equipped to start packing my lunch. Plus, if I brought food to work, I probably wouldn’t get much interaction with people throughout the day and I kind of enjoy people. I would miss out.
I made it home from the gym in time for some Law and Order: SVU, a new episode. For some reason I am especially tired, so there won’t be much more than that for this evening.
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment