Friday 18 November 2011

Snow (Day 36)

I thought that I was going to be able to avoid the snow all the way out here in North Carolina.
I was wrong.
Today was the first snowfall of the year for the area, and I am sure one of the very few that they will have in total at the end of winter. As I have been informed, people were unbelievably bad drivers with the weather, and they seemed to react to a light dusting of snow as if it were the biggest blizzard in the world. It wasn’t even enough for me to have to scrape off my car.
Before I actually got up and left my apartment to see the snow this morning, I watched some American programming and lazed around for a little while. I guess I just want to make the most out of my dorm-style bedroom before I leave.
I watched a movie on TV and then decided that I should head to the gym. I also need to make the most of the gym membership I paid for up until the end of the week. I ran six miles and got to see the end of the UNC/Kentucky basketball game while I was on the treadmill. It was a really exciting game, well from what I saw, and UNC won, so that’s always nice for the people around here.
Considering UNC isn’t even ranked, and they have been having a lot of trouble this season, it was a big victory. Kentucky is No. 10, or at least they were before losing this afternoon in Chapel Hill. The last 12 seconds of the game lasted at least a couple miles of my running though, so that should be an indication of how back and forth and intense it was.
When I was finished running my miles for the day I went for a tan before trying to make my way to the mall. It took me a lot longer to get there than it should have, thanks to the snow and the difference in driving with that snow.
I made it to the mall and the movies I wanted to see were not playing for awhile. I thought I might have been able to catch an early show, but the traffic slowed me down too much for that. So I had some waiting to do.
I went to Panera Bread for dinner, which was excellent as always. But I asked for soup in a bread bowl, and they were all out of bread bowls. I was initially disappointed, but then I remembered that I like a lot of other stuff they have there too. Everything is better in an edible bowl though.
When I was finished eating I still had a lot of time to kill. Lucky for me, the mall had live entertainment. There happened to be a band of little kids singing a mix of Christmas songs and popular songs. I watched them until they were done their set, and I was pretty impressed. All of them were singing, while one played drums, another guitar, and a third on the keyboard. That was a great way to spend some of my time.
And when that was over, I wandered around until it was time for the movie. My options for viewing were Tangled and Fair Game, a kid movie or a movie that I didn’t really know much about. I really wanted to see MegaMind, but it was only showing in 3D during the evening hours, and 3D makes me dizzy. I chose Fair Game because of my love for flicks inspired by true stories.
The movie was a lot more about American politics than I expected. I thought the very beginning was kind of funny. The woman whom the film is about was in a meeting with someone and they asked her if she was American. She told him that actually she was Canadian, from Toronto. He then asked if she was a fan of the Maple Leafs and when she said no, he mentioned that he thought everyone from Toronto is a Maple Leafs fan. I just thought that was really funny because that is the perception of Torontonians from mostly everyone, and usually it is correct.
It turns out she was lying because she was a CIA operative, so the whole thing becomes a moot point, but I still found it to be amusing. And I still don’t like the Leafs.
After the movie I came back to the apartment to answer emails and watch a bunch of episodes of House. I love the TV marathons or mini-marathons or whatever they are that channels have each weekend.
I think today was pretty productive for the first half of my last weekend. I am hoping there is less snow tomorrow, but just as much productivity from yours truly. I should probably start working on some of the Hall of Fame bios, too.
But I’ll save that for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment