Friday 18 November 2011

This time, I didn't lose my car in the parking lot (Day 13)

After a run this morning I find myself with mixed results.
I made it, and I’m sure it was beneficial to me, and it made me feel good about the day ahead when I was finished. But I’m pretty sure getting up early made me tired, I think the dew that made my shoes wet will likely result in a smell of some sort (probably not a good one), and it was my first experience with cold North Carolina air.
Maybe it’s just chilly here in the mornings and I’m not used to it because I don’t start work until 10 o’clock (though I always come earlier) and I don’t go outdoors before that. I guess I will have to figure it out and get used to it if I want to continue the morning runs, and I think I should.
Today at work my job was to help with the Almanac, specifically with the post-season section. So I started on the thrilling task of transferring box scores. After I completed Game One from the World Series, I sent my work to the person who had asked for my help, and it’s a good thing I did. As it turns out, I wasn’t doing it right. He told me what I should do in some sort of computer language but I didn’t understand and decided to try it another way. That apparently worked, and he was happier with the second sample I sent.
I finished with the post-season stuff sometime in the afternoon, after working through another lunch because no one left, or invited me to go with them. But I had my drawer of snacks to fall back on of course. I should probably work on something other than that for next week though. Like maybe going for lunch on my own, or finding someone else to go with. But really, then I would be confused about how long to go, where I could go, what would be acceptable for time away, and things like that. Oh, the office politics.
Of course, I don’t think anyone would care how long I was gone, or even notice that I was away, possibly. My cubicle would just be missing my typing hands for a little while, and I am not sure they pay attention to that.
But I did get some notice today and I am pretty pumped about it. The president of the company came over to my cubicle and said that he’s heard about all of the contributions that I’ve made, and how happy everyone is with my productivity. That was really nice.
And on my way out of the office, I stopped to talk to Editor 1, and he mentioned that I would be on three pages of the next magazine! He seemed surprised, but I was feeling pretty proud of myself. He too was impressed by the amount of work I’ve done and the acceptability of what I have submitted. He said sometimes it takes interns longer than others to get the hang of things around here and I have jumped right in.  I am a little bit happy with myself, and I can’t wait to see the next edition of the magazine!
I believe it comes out every two weeks, and we got the last edition when I started last Monday or Tuesday, so I am hoping to see my name (thrice!) in Baseball America print early next week! And then of course I will send it home to my mom, and anyone else who would take the time to look at it. Hopefully they don’t mind my taking an entire stack of copies. I’m just excited.
Also before I left Editor 1 and I started talking about American holidays and when they are and what days people don’t work around here. Apparently, Veteran’s Day is a bigger deal than I thought because he said that most people wouldn’t have worked today and because we did I could take tomorrow off if I wanted it. I politely declined and told him I didn’t have anything better to do. He said that it was likely that he would be leaving early, so I took that to mean that I could potentially leave early tomorrow too. Not that I need the extra time for anything, and I have the whole weekend ahead of me, but I guess it could be nice.
I wouldn’t want to ruin my productive and contributory reputation by taking a day off though, now would I?
After work I went straight to the gym, for another spin class. The torture continues. This class must have been harder than the one yesterday, or maybe my legs just haven’t recovered, but afterwards my limbs felt a little bit like jelly. But I’m sure it was well worth the pain.
From there I wanted to go to Target, because I wanted to get a mouse pad for my desk at home, since my mouse won’t work without something under it, and I need some paper, and a birthday card. The GPS directed me to the Target at the mall with the movie theatre (it just loves the mall), and so I thought I would make another stop at Panera Bread. Luckily, this time I knew where I was going, and I didn’t lose my car in the parking lot.
The dinner was great, though I am starting to find that Southern accents sound a little bit like a foreign language to me at times, and I made it to Target, and got only what I needed. I would call that a successful night. Making lists is really helpful, and prevents me from spending money when I don’t really need to.
I went tanning again, and I think, burned myself again. I might need to add Aloe to my next list, but we’ll see. And instead of watching TV when I got back to the apartment, I wrote a letter to accompany the birthday card that is heading to one of my co-workers from the Blue Jays, and also filled out my application to graduate, which apparently needs to be sent to my school before next Friday. I guess I will be heading back to the nearest UPS tomorrow.
And it was off to bed early again, in another attempt to go running in the morning. Early to bed, early to rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment