Friday 18 November 2011

I go to movies by myself (Day 29)

I am beginning to get my sense of taste back, and even my sense of smell. It will be nice to fully utilize them once again.
Today started well and then continued in that direction. I had a decent sleep for enough time to get rid of most of my sickness and woke up ready for the day.
Nicole and I had plans to head to the movies at the same time to see The Next Three Days, so I had that in my schedule for the late afternoon show. But I thought I would head to the theatre early and see another movie before it started. I decided on Burlesque, and I really liked it for what it was. And then I saw The Next Three Days and it was great.
My fellow movie-goer in Florida and I both enjoyed the fact that the characters escaped through Canada at the end of the movie (I spoiled that one for you if you wanted to see it).  I liked the flick because I thought it was mostly unpredictable, and I am a big fan of surprises.
From the movies I went straight to Nathan’s house, where I met his wife, two dogs and turtle. We left and picked up Conor and his wife, and headed to a restaurant somewhere not too far away. The food was great and at the end of the meal both couples tried to take my bill from the waitress. They were fighting over who would pay for my dinner! It was really nice of them, and Nathan said that they could at least pay for my dinner if they weren’t paying me to work. I’m really happy to help them out and they obviously appreciate what I’ve been doing.
Over dinner we mostly talked about the various driving laws and how licensing works in different places. Aly, Nathan’s wife, is from New Jersey, and Conor and his wife Cheryl are both from Seattle, Nathan is from Virginia and they all live in North Carolina, so we had an array of laws and driving regulations to talk about.
The laws in Ontario are probably a little less harsh though, since as I told them, my brother hit a girl while only in the second stage of the graduated licensing system, and he still managed to come out of it with all of his points and his full license. I explained that it wasn’t completely my brother’s fault, but that made a great story to introduce everyone to my family.
After dinner we went back to Nathan and Aly’s place to play some board games. Conor and Cheryl stopped at home to pick up some of their games and Cheryl brought the ingredients to make cookies when they came. The cookies were fantastic and I have come to understand that Cheryl is a well-known baker around BA.
We played a few different games that I had never heard of before and I think I kept pace in all of them. They weren’t very competitive, and everyone had a really good time. I really enjoyed my night with the couples and wouldn’t mind at all if they wanted to hang out again before I leave town.
It’s hard to believe I only have two weeks left here, and only one real weekend after this one is over. I don’t understand how quickly time has gone, and I think I will be leaving before I know it. I hope I’ve made a good enough impression at work for everyone to remember me, and think of me if they need anyone.
I heard there might be a job available when I was with the couples tonight. They brought up someone who had left and one of the wives asked if he’d been replaced yet. I think they mentioned the names of a couple of candidates, but I know that no one has been hired for the position yet. I don’t know exactly what the person did, or covered, but if he is no longer at Baseball America, and they haven’t filled his spot yet, then I think I can safely assume that there might be a job opening for the taking. And I would love to do the taking.
Especially after tonight. I could see myself living in the neighbourhood, hanging out with these people every once in awhile, working on baseball all day long, traveling every once in awhile to watch various players and tournaments. I think it would be a pretty good life.
I am starting to be confused about what I want though. I would love to come back to NC and work for BA, but I’ve applied for a paid internship with mlb.com for next summer and I think that would be a great opportunity too. I would be working with a beat reporter for a team, presumably learning how to do their job, and helping out. I don’t know when I might hear about that internship, but if BA wanted me, I am sure I would be willing to come back here.
I’m just confused because I’ve wanted to work with a team. But I have also wanted to have the opportunity for full-time employment. The real world is more confusing and scary as I approach it more closely, and I don’t think I am ready.
But I know I’ve been having a great time, and nothing will change that. BA has given me the opportunity to write, and participate actively with everything that their employees take part in. I’ve been able to help them, and they’ve been able to reciprocate. The people are fantastic and the job is fun. It’s been a good four weeks, and I know the last two will be the same, with maybe a little sadness because I know I’m leaving soon.
It’s been a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment