Friday 18 November 2011

I haven't hit one out of the park yet (Day 15)

I am a rookie.
I’m surrounded by veterans, because I’m the only one that got the call up this time around. Of course I’m excited. This could be my chance. But I have to prove myself, like any rookie. And I think I’ve done a good job of it so far.
I’ve only been at Baseball America two weeks, but there are only six in my entire season, so I’m a third of the way through. I’ve earned a place on the team, I think, but I’m not anywhere close to being a starter. There is still a lot of work and time I would need to put in before that could happen.
I’ve taken some swings and found success, but I haven’t hit anything out of the park yet. I think that’s what I’ll aim for next week, to bring up my slugging percentage.
But for now it’s the weekend and I’ll try to save the rest of my baseball analogies for Monday, though it might be tough. I woke up at least a couple of times before I actually got out of bed this morning, but I was more successful in sleeping in on this Saturday than I was a week ago.
When I did get up, I decided to check out what was on the tube, as per usual. And before heading out for a run, I watched an awful movie with Ashton Kutcher that I probably would have thought was fantastic when I was in my early teen years.
When it was finally finished, because I couldn’t stop watching once I had started, I set off to try and find a new route to run. Where I have been running thus far has been sufficient, but it’s not going to cut it for longer runs. I need my route to be a little more interesting.
I went in a direction that I had seen a few people take from one of the bike paths I have started to frequent. I didn’t know if those people were just going home, or if I could possibly find a better place for exercise, but it was worth checking out.  The red brick path ran alongside a road, and at first I thought it was going to be a great new place to go. I even passed a bunch of people having a picnic, an honest-to-goodness outdoor picnic on a Saturday afternoon. Who would have thought that was possible in real life?
I kept going and realized that I had actually ended up on the campus of the University of North Carolina. And today was game day. UNC was hosting Virginia Tech on the grid iron. I remembered the picnic, and realized that’s not what it was at all. It must have been a tailgate party of some sort. I saw plenty more on my jaunt through the school. I wanted to turn around, but there were so many people everywhere and I didn’t know where else to go, so I kept on trekking right through the football crowd.
It was a nice enough path for running, but probably not ideal for game days. I made it back to the apartment and decided after a shower that I wanted a smoothie.
I tried to make my way to a McDonald’s but the GPS got me lost and confused. After a few attempts, I decided that I would settle for a Starbucks smoothie, but I had the same result and was quickly running out of gas for seemingly no reason at all. The GPS failed me two times in a row, something I thought was impossible. I don’t know what to believe in anymore.
So, back to the apartment I went, smoothie-less, for a night of watching movies on cable and starting to write Christmas cards for people at home. I didn’t have any work to do because no one from Baseball America had sent me anything, and I am done everything that I had started during the week. Maybe being productive has disadvantages when you are looking for something to do on the weekends.
Lucky for me, after watching the Pursuit of Happyness, making me both homesick and appreciative for the lifestyle that I am able to live thanks to successful parents, I found a mini-marathon of House episodes to distract me from doing anything else.
Maybe all of my resting (sitting around doing nothing) today will assist me in my long run tomorrow. I am scheduled for 14 miles, but after running eight today, I am hoping I don’t get tired early. The weekend is half over and my productiveness ranking has gone almost to zero.
Hopefully tomorrow I can make myself more useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment