Friday 18 November 2011

Mysterious injury (Day 37)

I certainly didn’t make the most of my last weekend in North Carolina. Not today anyway.
It started with the potential for productivity. I woke up early and thought about heading to the gym. But somehow during the night I must have injured my ankle because it was super sore when I tried to get up. I could barely walk, let alone go to the gym and run the miles that I had planned. So I headed to my computer and answered some emails.
The email I spent the most time on was one from a guy at the Rock, Toronto’s professional lacrosse team. He had contacted me on Friday night with the opportunity for an internship position from January until May. It was something I pursued earlier in the year, when looking for my six-week intern position, and he said I came highly recommended by Eric Holmes, one of my bosses from the Argonauts.
I wrote him back and said that even though I am very interested in the position, I might have a couple of conflicts, and he should know about them before he decides whether or not he does actually want to meet with me. The first one was that he wanted to meet with me this upcoming week, so I had to let him know that I will still be in North Carolina at Baseball America.
Then I told him that if I did join his marketing and ticketing team at the Rock, I would miss the first home game of the season, which is probably somewhat of a big deal. It happens to be on the same weekend that I am heading to Florida for the Goofy Challenge marathon and half marathon. I’ve been hoping to participate in the Challenge for some time now, and I have been signed up for awhile. It is also non-refundable, so I will be going, and in turn, would be missing that game.
I also mentioned that if any paying opportunities came along, I would have to take them. I told him about the mlb.com paid internship that I have applied for, and it would take me away for the baseball season, beginning in April. And I told him about the potential for me to write from Spring Training for CBC, if I ever hear about that again. But if it were to happen, I would likely miss the one home game in March that the Rock have.
After giving him a whole bunch of reasons why he shouldn’t take me on, I mentioned the reasons that he should. I included the things about myself that I would usually send in a cover letter, in the hopes that the positives might outweigh all the negatives I had given him already. Hopefully I hear back from him saying that he would like to have my help when I can give it. That would be ideal, however unlikely.
When I was finished emailing, I watched TV and played around on my laptop until I’d had enough of that. I thought that maybe if I rested for a little while my ankle might eventually start to feel better, and so I headed to my bed. I must have been a lot more tired than I thought because I fell back asleep for a long nap.
My ankle still hurt when I woke up, so that didn’t help anything. I couldn’t go to the gym because I figured that would probably make my mysterious injury worse. That’s not something I would like to do, so taking it easy is the way for me today.
I didn’t do much outside of watching movies on TV, though I should have spent some time working on Hall of Fame bios. I started to look at one of the players, but didn’t get any work done. I went back to being lazy and watching TV instead and that took up the majority of my day.
When I tried to do laundry, I got one load out of the washer only to find that someone else’s clothes were in the dryer. There was nothing more I could do there except leave the light on in the laundry room in the hopes that the person who left their clothes would remember and take them out.
Thing 2 eventually knocked on my door and asked if I had been trying to do laundry because her stuff was in the dryer. She took it out and I was back in business, several hours later. I didn’t get a chance to finish because I was too tired and it was too late, but I am further on my laundry now than I was yesterday.
I’ve realized that my weekend entries are much shorter than the ones I’ve written on weekdays. I have a much more exciting life when I am working, or so it seems. Though I had the opportunity to work today and I didn’t take it.
My final weekend in North Carolina is over, and a week from now I will be in Pittsburgh, or at least that is the hope, on my way back home from my adventures here. Though my weekend has been generally uneventful, my time here has not and I am happy to say that I think I did make the most of it.
I had a great time at work, and with another week left to go at BA I am sure that will continue. I’ve met great people and friends that I will hopefully keep in touch with when I leave. I am confident that there is the possibility of me being contacted in the future if BA has an opportunity that I might be a good fit for. That makes me happy, and I know I have done pretty well with my time here. I have a couple magazines to show for it, and possibly a few books that might have my name in them as a contributor in the near future.
I am not excited about the prospect of driving home, into horrible weather as I am told, but I would like to see my mom and my friends again. Six weeks flew by for me at Baseball America, but it seems like much longer since I have been home. And I think I can survive the snow and bitter cold for a few days before heading to hot and sunny Mexico.
I guess it’s almost time for me to start packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment